Sunday, August 17, 2008

Motif No. 13/25 - Butterfly Bookmarks, New Shuttle, Ivan's Drawing

I bought some butterfly hairclips recently and have this sudden urge to tat some butterflies. These are the first 2 I came up with - the pink one was tatted with Flora 20 threads, and the other with Manuela 20 thread. With a ribbon weaved through the body, I think they will make a quick bookmark. What do you think ? Watch out for 1 or 2 more variations. These will be part of Motif No. 13 for the 25-Motif Challenge.

Next is my latest acquisition from ebay - a 1 1/2 inch Irish bog oak tatting shuttle that used 4000 year old Irish bog oak and inlayed with a simple Celtic swirl design in Malachite.

And here's the feeding device Ivan drew from the basis sketch I talked about earlier. Ivan went through with me how the machine works (if it works, I wonder), but well, I'm still impressed!

9 comments:

Marty said...

Those are great butterflies! They'd make pretty bookmarks or gift bows.

Tara said...

What lovely butterflies! That is also a beautiful shuttle! Tell Ivan that I am very impressed by his machine as well.

Tara
http://tattedlacetreasures.blogspot.com/

Tatenup said...

You butterflies are very pretty. I think they would look great as window ornament or as a necklace.
Tami in WA

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

The delicate beauty of your butterfly bookmarks is inspiring. Great job!

Singtatter said...

Thanks, Marty and Tara. I haven't thought of gift bows, now I know.

Well, Tami, I'm still at more butterflies and they get smaller and smaller, shall see how small they will get!

Eliz, I like your butterfly twins, so sweet!

*♥* Heather *♥* said...

soo beautiful I love them
Great work!!
Heather

Unknown said...

Love the butterflies! THe shuttle is amazing!

Unknown said...

I am new to tatting and have taught myself to needle tatt. I am very interested in looking for directions but couldn't find them. Are you posting them anywhere? They are so beautiful. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Leeanne Boyd said...

I love your butterflys. Is the pattern available for purchase?

Leeanne