Sunday, June 22, 2014

Grand Central Terminal, 9/11 Memorial, Empire State Building

23 Oct 2013 (Wed), partly cloudy, 5-14 deg C.
I had wanted to rent a bike and cycle in Central Park, but it was too cold for me without any jacket.  So, I just wandered around today.  Went around the State Empire Building, but decided to go up only at night for the night view.  Then I went on to Macy's, but nothing really caught my fancy.  I hopped on a bus, but guess what, a few tens of police cars, ambulances and fire-engines went whizzing past the bus I was on.  Traffic almost came to a standstill. I got off and walked down the street. No one was running, everyone was curiously waiting and watching.  Something happened at Penn Station, and service was suspended.  The buzz was that someone fell into the track.  After a while, fire-engines and ambulances started to pull away, and I too continued my way for lunch.

Hoping to get some postal stamps, I walked to the General Post Office.  There is a corner of postal exhibits.   
Just next door is the Grand Central Terminal, and it is grand and elegant as its name! 

Took the subway from the Grand Central Terminal to World Trade Center. I had a bit of frustration and problem finding the place where they issue the ticket and the actual entrance to the 9/11 Memorial, and was literally walking up and down the street a few times before I finally found it.  They were almost closing.  Sombre yet tranquil.  One World Trade Center (Freedom Tower) is impressive.
After dinner at Mdm Ruby Foo's, we went up the Empire State Building for the night view of NYC. Luckily, DH had some pullovers and jackets bought from the University store that day; we were so cold out on the rooftop that we just wore them, never mind if they were grossly over-size for me and tags were still hanging! 

1 comment:

Kathy Niklewicz said...

All I can say is Wow! We live only 400 miles from NY and have never really been in the city. Too intimidating and overwhelming for me! We usually passed by on I -95 to get to New England. I'm so impressed that you are undaunted in getting around on subways and buses! And you wouldn't need a coat right now - maybe a lightweight one at night.

Your photos are great and I appreciate your sharing them!
As you were the first commenter on my blog back in 2008,
I've always followed your amazing blog and admire your artistry and creativity - and your energy!